Blog Archive

Monday, July 9, 2012

December 31st: New Years Eve

For New Years I really wanted to spend it in Nagpur with my friends.  They were all doing different things, and plans didn't work out for me, so on December 31st I took the local bus back to Yavatmal by myself.  It was a little frightening, just because it was my first time and I have never been good with directions or public transit.  Luckily everything was fine, even if my three hour ride took an extra two hours.

I got back to Yavatmal and nothing had changed.  My host mom feeds me dal and rice, my host brother barely acknowledges my presence, and we watch Hindi dubbed cartoons together.  Luckily the spiders in my bathroom are gone, but it seems that the water pressure is even worse than before.

Yavatmal is a small town that doesn't have very many places to hang out at all, so I spend New Years Eve with my host family and my Rotary Club who were all surprised and excited to see me.

While all party is going on, I have been texting Jordan. It turns out that Jordan is staying in a hostel.  His host family couldn't host him anymore and they had nowhere else to put him.  Jordan is spending his New Years Eve alone in a room that has one working light in the bathroom.   So we've been texting each other to feel the void of being physically friendless.

As midnight draws near, another wave of homesickness comes.  I can somehow feel the distance between me and London. Ontario.  Also, today is my dad's birthday.  I call home on the stroke of midnight, while the fireworks and loud Bollywood music plays.  On the other end my mom says it sounds like I'm having a good time.  In reality, I was homesick and sad to be away from my friends.

After we get home, I felt better.  "The Holiday Stage" is over, the hardest time of exchange.  Well, according to my "Exchange Student Survival Guide" it is.  All I can do is hope for smooth sailing from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment