Blog Archive

Sunday, July 8, 2012

December 25th - 26th: District Conference

After a quick nap, eat and a freshen up (Yes, a singular freshen up), we're out the door again to our meeting spot; Modern School. 

We're one of the first to arrive, and to my surprise, there is Christmas tree for us!  A really, sad, dinky Christmas tree.  Even though I'm wearing a T-Shirt and flip-flops, it's beginning to feel like Christmas.  

 Like, really, really, REALLY sad and dinky.

The only picture that I have of meeting at Modern School

Slowly, one by one, everyone showed up with a present in their hand.  We decided during South Tour that we would do a Secret Santa.  On the drive to Suraburdi Meadows, we opened our presents.  I was Chris's Secret Santa and he gave me an "Awesome Facts" book.  He attached a really sweet card to it. And it's as follows :

Nisha,

I knew when I saw this book in a Mumbai bookstore that I had to get it for you, but I ran out of time to get it there.  So I was thrilled when I found it in Nagpur!

When I thought about what I should get you for Christmas, I thought of the first conversations we shared - out favorite colors, our favorite Indian Fruits, and of course what superpower we would most like to have.  This is a weird and awkward way of saying it, but I wanted to get something with information and explanations as interesting as those we gave you.  I hope some of these awesome facts make you say "Wow!" and "Holy Mackerel!"

Awwwwww :)

We arrive to the venue of the conference.  A beautiful lot for various event.  On one side is the hall is a field for people to eat and socialize in and on the other end are cottages evenly spaced.  In one of these cottages we would spend the hours before the show "practising".   It's hot, and I can feel the sun tanning my skin.  After eating, we find our way to our cottage.  Luckily, we don't have to attend any of the conference stuff, so for a couple of hours we get to just hang out.  I walk into a room and I see Olivia, Dascha, Anais, and Chris sleeping.  I walk outside and I see Franzi practising Kathak, and Serenity practicing the violin,  she has to play the national anthem by herself.  She's nervous... Most of us aren't feeling so confident about this. I've come to terms that we're going to fall apart on stage, and I don't really care. I wish my whole life could be a care-free and chill as right now.  Eventually, we get a call from Pooja saying she's on her way.

I can't help it.  Today and last night have been perfect.  I've been laughing and smiling all day.  I think this has been the best Christmas ever.  Never again will I have a Christmas like this.  My Canadian Christmases are all based on traditions, I know what to expect and that's what makes it so special.  But this?  We have a bunch of different people who understand each other on a different scale.  In ways, they know me more intimately than my best friends (Who happen to be my parents. #PeteyandMamaKhanLove).

(As you'e noticed, I've been talking about my friends a lot.  That's the highlight of my exchange.  For some it's the fact they were thrown into a new culture, or learning a new language, or simply just getting to see as much of the world as possible.)

 I've had such a blast the last 6 weeks, I don't want to go back home tomorrow.  Anais and her host family are going on vacation, so I will have no host family.  Everyone outside Nagpur is is trying to prolong their stay so we can at least spend New Years Eve together.  But it's been difficult...

In my thoughts, Pooja arrives with our dance didi.  Time to get ready.




Unfortunately, those are the only picture taken of getting ready time.  We were beyond rushed.  We had 15 minutes backstage to set up our next costumes and get organized.  The order to performances as as follows:

Kathak with Olivia, Serenity, Franzi, Dascha and myself
Bengali with Kesley, Amanda, Michelle, Jordan, Baby Jakob and Krish
Eastern with Olivia, Anais, Brii, Michelle and myself
Maharashtrian with Serenity, Franzi, Dascha, Baby Jakob and Krish
Instrumental with Baby Jakob, Krish, Jordan, Brii, Anais, Olivia and Franzi
Yoga thing with all of us and then a flag ceremony right at the end.


We are rushed like crazy.  On the quick ride over the stage, we are still applying make-up to putting on copious amounts of jewellery - yes - during the car ride.  You would think that at least the first dance would be ready to go on time.  Nope, I was literally pushed on stage.  Not figurative literally. Literal literally.  The kathak dance went well.  Enough.  I forgot one move, but other than that it was acceptable.

The starting pose of the Kathak Dance

We walk off gracefully until we are hidden.  In an instant, there is panic and chaos, unlike the which I've ever seen.  Colourful costumes fly off our bodies, earrings are ripped out of ears to be replaced with the next number earrings.  Intricate headpieces have to be put on with the help of a friend who is equally as busy trying to figure their costume. Between all of girls, there are only two women who can wrap our sari's. 

The Bengali dance finishes, and backstage panic is upped.  Our MC is calling on whoever is ready, to give a quick interview to buy time.  Not enough time could be bought.  My sari is wrapped and I am pushed on stage to do a quick solo intro to the eastern dance.  I am exposed and as my arms raise, my heart beats in fear that my sari will fall off mid performance.  Fortunately my costume stays in tact for the entirety of the performance.  I can't say the same for Olivia...  I would like to say the Eastern dance went as well if not better than the Kathak.  Unfortunately it didn't.  We all knew the dance moves, but the counting was off for most the performance. OH WELL!

The Bengali Dance


I walk off stage, and I am done with my dances.  I take my time taking off all the different parts of my costume, and watch the final performance.  The Maharashtrian is by far the smoothest.  The end is in sight when the instrumentalists come backstage so we can all walk on together for the yoga bit.

The Maharashtrian Dance
 Instrumental bit. 

The yoga demo had a new technical difficulties.  What could have been a spiritual, somber and serious performance was ruined by the first 5 minutes of nothing.  We had to chant the sacred mantra "Om" three times.  By the fifth time around, "om" turned into "um?"  The music was too loud for Brii to talk.  Eventually it got fixed, and the show continues.  A quick flag ceremony we're done. It's over. That was it. The end. Bas*.


 Yoga 


We have dinner, pack up and leave for our respective homes. The bus driver stops like a public bus and stops at locations that are close for all of us.  Slowly the bus becomes empty.  It's ok though, I'll be seeing almost everyone tomorrow for day two of the district conference. 

Amanda and I pack our bags, since we're moving to a different host family for tomorrow, since Anais is leaving for Goa with her host family tomorrow.  I don't want to think about tomorrow being the last day we're together.  So instead I focus on how today is Christmas, however unbelievable that is.

________


The next morning Amanda and I say goodbye to Anais, since the next time we will see her will be for North Tour.  We head out to Modern School once more to go the venue.

Today the laid-back and care-free atmosphere is back.  The post performance atmosphere is probably one of the great feelings ever. Some were napping and others were listening to music and chatting. Eventually as everyone woke up, we decided to play games like Hide and Seek tag, murder wink and other games like this.

And this was our afternoon. Just enjoying each others company for the last time since tonight Serenity, Olivia and Brii would be going back to their towns tonight. And in two days Amanda, Jordan and Kelsey would be going back to their towns as well. As for me, I am trying my hardest to find a host family until January 1st so I could spend New Years with my friends. As we were packing up to leave, it was sad to see them go. But North tour is just two months away.

 Amanda wrapped in MY precious stash of toilet paper 

The man pose: A Chris Yoder Variation



 Toilet paper fun.

I just really like this picture a lot

* Bas is the Hindi word for "Enough" or "Stop", but within our group, we use it for the equivalent for "Finshed" or "Done".  Often you'll here from us "I'm Bas" 

No comments:

Post a Comment