Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

January 17th: Life Continues

The conference ended, and we were taking off our semi vacation to go back to real life.  After being with all my friends for six weeks and being on a complete high, being without them for New Years was especially low. In fact, the next couple of days were pretty low. I was back to being alone in Yavatmal.  Back to routine. I crashed and burned, and it took just a couple of days after New Years to pick myself up again and continue with life.

And that's exactly what I did; I continued with my Indian life.  I finally found the confidence to go out for walks by myself.  I even started buying fruits and vegetables for my host mom.  I started using my Hindi more, and started embracing Indian life as the real Nisha Khan, not Nisha Khan who was trying to force herself to act like and totally become and Indian even though it was impossible with my fundamental stances of life n' stuff.  I had an idea of how an exchange student should act in regards to accepting their host country, and it didn't really work for me.  I figured out a way that worked me though... six months into my exchange.   I bloomed a little late in my confidence and being a successful exchange student, but I bloomed all the same.  Lesson learned : You gotta do what's right for you, not what you think everyone thinks is right for you.

Of course, the other exchange students really are helping me with this.  Now that we've actually become friends, I know have people to talk with during the day.  I talk mostly with Amanda and Jordan.

 This is Jordan photo bombing my ironic myspace picture.  He is 16 from the middle of nowhere, Oregon.  He's been having a tough time lately.  His Rotary district is new to exchange, and they're trying to get it right.  But Jordan isn't complaining, or going home.  He's sticking through it all.  That's just how strong he is.  Jordan's our security guard, which is cute.  He also has a thing with giving spontenous back rubs and running fingers through your hair.  He also makes fun of the way Brii and I say "bag".   Much be a Canadian thing.  Anyway, since I met Jordan, he's always been there to protect me, make me laugh, give my back rubs and snuggle me.  



I didn't do much, but one day there were monkeys on my front gate.  So that's cool. right?

Pests with thumbs... watch out.

My grandparents and uncles house from the backdoor.  Notice the monkey just chilling there...

On one of my walks, I snuck a picture of the main strip of Yavatmal!
Beautiful...


No comments:

Post a Comment