Blog Archive

Sunday, June 17, 2012

December 11th - 23rd: Our Fate


The last two weeks have been amazing.  It's like a continuation of south tour almost, except different.

The main point of our official gathering in Nagpur was to prepare for our district conference which in on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.  In our heads, well, at least in my head, we would be practising all day from day one (December 9th: The first full day of our return to our district) until our performances were flawless, uniform and perfect.  Here, I'll give you the schedule of how I thought things were going on unfold.

December 9th: Meet with our instructors and our Youth Exchange Officers (Who from this point on will be known as Pooja and/or Jagdish) about what exactly will go down.  How many dance numbers there are, who will be dancing to which dance number, maybe a recording of the song we had to play on instruments, and designating who to which instrument.  Maybe some sheet music and rental instruments so we could go home and practice.

December 10th - 22nd:  Intensive rehearsals.  Like, three hours of dance, and then two hours of instrumental  stuff kind thing.

December 23rd: Dress Rehearsal, another meeting about what's going to happen exactly during the conference

Doesn't that sound good?  I'm sure as a Canadian or American you're reading this and thinking schedule is normal and necessary for us to keep us organized and stuff.

LOL, Nisha the Canadian came out with strong expectations there! This is what actually happened...

We waited for word about what we were supposed to do until the 13th.  If it wasn't for Franzi's text message to us, I don't think we would have known (Or the Rotarians...) that we were to meet at the yoga teachers house on the 13h at 1:30, and then go to our dance/music classes for a run down of what's going to happen at 4:00pm.

The last couple of days, we've been trying to piece together what's going on.  There's been talk that we have to do yoga on stage.  At this yoga class, it's announced that -  yes -  we'll have to put on a 10 minute presentation of yoga.  Really simple.  Someone is going to be dressed as the goddess and is going to MC different yoga positions we do.

We (The few that went to the yoga class) make our way to "Modern School", our practice space to meet up with our dance didi*, musical instructor and Pooja.  We are to perform three dances: Kathak, Maharashtrian, and an Eastern one (I didn't catch the name of it); I will be in the Kathak and Eastern one.  The people who learned an instrument will perform two short songs. Then we'll all come together for the yoga presentation, and then a sort of flag ceremony at the end.

I can tell that this performance is going to be a hot mess.  Michelle, Baby Jakob, Dascha and Brii aren't here, Olivia and Serenity show up late... This unprofessionalism on both ends is killing me.  I'm used to preparing months in advance for performances.  Oh well, don't take tension, right?  I'm ready to work hard to learn these dances and not make a fool out of myself.

The last couple of days of not knowing what is going on were just the beginning of the next two weeks...

*Didi is a title of respect for a young female, or someone who is a couple of years older than you. Think like... 3 - 5 years.






No comments:

Post a Comment