Blog Archive

Friday, July 6, 2012

December 24th: Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve day was normal.  We had practice, and a quick run down of what was going to happen tomorrow.  For the evening, the plan was to go to dinner as a group and attend midnight mass at one of the only (Anglican!) churches in Nagpur.  However, as the sun sets, a problem comes up. Jakob’s host family, which would be taking us to a club for dinner, could provide transportation to the club and the church. But driving us back to our six respective homes at one or two in the morning was just not possible. We were all nervous and frantically trying to figure out a way to make this work.

Of course, I was in tears at the possibility of not being at the midnight mass.  I got unbelievably melodramatic.  I said the exact words to Brii who comforted me "I just wanna be home right now.  I feel like India is the worst thing that has ever happened to me"  Of course I have thought that and known 100% that I didn't actually feel that way, but tonight at that moment, it really felt like that was true.  But then Serenity came up to me, kissed my forehead, hugged me and said in the gentlest, most comforting voice "It's okay, we're you're family too." And after three tears of happiness, all the hardships I'm facing was, is and will be worth it because I got to meet my exchange friends.

This is a terrible picture of me and Serenity.  Serenity was born in South Korea, and moved to Florida when she was 9.  Out of everyone, I think we're going through pretty similar things, so she's important to me in that sense. I have never met someone as funny as this girl.  She's the life of the party, and we relate to each other as mixed girls   She's a great dancer and listener.  So she's important to me in every other sense too.  She also says a lot of funny Florida/American slang which makes us all laugh.  Us exchange students are starting to form our own language, and I'll be honest, most of it is Serenity's creation.  She is a friend who has constantly been there to help me pick myself up.  I love Serenity, and you should too. 

I'll put a beautiful picture of her as well, just so you don't think she's grody.  

See?  She's actually extremely attractive.

While I'm having this break-down/revelation, Pooja and Jagdish Khatri our Youth Exchange Officers  stepped up for us.  Basically, the problem was getting back home afterwards, right? Well the problem would be solved if we all just spent the night at one house.  Pooja and Jagdish open their house to sad exchange students.  And poof! The problem is gone, and the evening can continue.  So, we'd meet at Baby Jakob's house, go to the club, go to church, go to Pooja and Jagdish's.

WOOP! 


We spent two hours at Baby Jakob's, and it was filled with Christmas joys and homemade treats sent all the way from Amanda's mom! What a delightful treat to start the evening!  Two hours later we are full of sugar induced fun, and we get into Jakob's car to go to the Club for dinner.  And by we, I mean 13 of of us.  I think that might be one of my favourite things about India; seeing how many people you can squeeze into one vehicle.  Whenever we do, I have a hard time pretending that it's normal.  I'm filled with so much excitement; we all are.  We burst into hyper Christmas carol singing and laughing. Just to think about 4 hours ago I felt like India was the worst thing that happened to me...

This is the only picture I could find of Jakob's.  I think it sums it up pretty well.  

The club we're at is a classy, high-end establishment, the kind of place to which you only go for very special events.  Everything is decorated with Christmas lights and other ornaments.  If it wasn't 20 degrees outside, I would think I was in a Canadian restaurant.  Within minutes of entering the club,  I see that there's is a huge screen, that has words passing by it.  They read:

"Underneath his beard so snowy white
What a laugh it would have been

If daddy had only seen
Mommy kissing Santa Claus last night"

They had a karaoke machine playing - you guessed it - Christmas songs. A treat that was special to me.  Because of my church choir background, music and singing plays an important role in the Christmas atmosphere.  Plus, I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus by the Jackson 5 is one of my favourites. Double treat! We bolt to the stage to continue what we left off in the car.  We're yell-singing with our backs are to our half listening audience. 

The Christmas karaoke ends, and the American top 40 starts playing while we eat our dinner.  By the time we leave the Club, it's past midnight and of course - we are late for church.

No comments:

Post a Comment