(At the point of writing the next three posts, I have been back from India for two and a half years, and have actually started to study the following issues at a university level. Nisha 2010's thoughts weren't as clear, and her vocabulary certainly wasn't nearly large enough for the feelings she was facing. But looking back at her feelings then, I know what Nisha 2010 was trying to say, I'm just going to help her out a bit and say it for her, however much better that may be.)
Building off of covering my face with my scarf...race and shade. Let's talk about it.
"But Nisha, that's just not true! I'm super pasty, and I wish that I had a nice tan! Like, white people go to tanning beds to be darker!"
Yes... and no. For North America (and Europe as well, I think) tanning is desired, not having darker skin. There is a huge difference. I just wanted to clarify that, because I've heard that from a lot of people.
Anyway.
This desire for fair skin goes beyond the caste system, though it sets up a solid foundation to be white. Let's not forget that India was ruled by the British for like 200 years, and before that the comparatively fair Mughals. When the British came, the idea of "high culture" and "low culture" came about. Yup, you guessed it. High culture was British culture and low culture was Indian. Language was a big thing. English was (is) seen as a world language, and even now, English in India is mainly a language belonging to the upper and middle classes. Basically, there was a forced rejection of Indian identity made by the British...
Then, what's happening more recently is globalization in an American route n' what not. With a lot of America's ideals seeping into everyone else's cultures, it's hard to get away from "White is beautiful and right" when the typical American subject/Universal subject is white.
Annnywhozzle. There's a nice little lesson on Indian history,
The goal here is to be as fair as possible. Being dark skinned indicates that you are outside all day, and can't afford to have people to go outside to do labour for you. At least, that's what I think. That and whiteness is something that most if not all racial communities strive for.
In Asia, just like in North America, the media is constantly teaching us to never be happy with our bodies, and that consuming products will help our inherent ugliness. In Asia (south, east, and probably southeast.) they have skin lightening creams. The main product here is called Fair and Lovely. The commercials will show a dark skinned woman, either losing the love of her life, or being denied that promotion that she is more than capable of performing solely based on the premise that she have dark skin. But once she starts using Fair and Lovely - POOF! She is back in her man's arms, she's a successful woman but most importantly, she is happy because she is beautiful.
Since I've been outside everyday biking around, it's been a constant topic of conversation. Trying to stay fair and lovely. I felt that this deserved a post because the colour of my skin plays a huge role in my exchange, and what makes it most different than my gora friends. I'm not telling you this to gain sympathy, or tell you how much India is the pits, I'm telling you this so you know what's shaping my exchange and what's shaping my view on India.
Building off of covering my face with my scarf...race and shade. Let's talk about it.
India has a long history with race and shade. There's a connection with caste system, which - from the beginning of its existence - has favoured those with fair skin. Fair skin is associated with privilege, money and not working outside. It's such an ancient phenomenon that has carried through until modern day. I hope this idea of the desire for fair skin doesn't surprise you. I can't speak for Latin America, but I feel confident in saying that everywhere else desires and strives for whiteness. Like, look around at advertisements. If there is a person of colour, it's either to the backdrop of a racial stereotype or tokenism. And the ideal beautiful girl? Yeah, she's white.
"But Nisha, that's just not true! I'm super pasty, and I wish that I had a nice tan! Like, white people go to tanning beds to be darker!"
Yes... and no. For North America (and Europe as well, I think) tanning is desired, not having darker skin. There is a huge difference. I just wanted to clarify that, because I've heard that from a lot of people.
Anyway.
This desire for fair skin goes beyond the caste system, though it sets up a solid foundation to be white. Let's not forget that India was ruled by the British for like 200 years, and before that the comparatively fair Mughals. When the British came, the idea of "high culture" and "low culture" came about. Yup, you guessed it. High culture was British culture and low culture was Indian. Language was a big thing. English was (is) seen as a world language, and even now, English in India is mainly a language belonging to the upper and middle classes. Basically, there was a forced rejection of Indian identity made by the British...
Then, what's happening more recently is globalization in an American route n' what not. With a lot of America's ideals seeping into everyone else's cultures, it's hard to get away from "White is beautiful and right" when the typical American subject/Universal subject is white.
Annnywhozzle. There's a nice little lesson on Indian history,
The goal here is to be as fair as possible. Being dark skinned indicates that you are outside all day, and can't afford to have people to go outside to do labour for you. At least, that's what I think. That and whiteness is something that most if not all racial communities strive for.
In Asia, just like in North America, the media is constantly teaching us to never be happy with our bodies, and that consuming products will help our inherent ugliness. In Asia (south, east, and probably southeast.) they have skin lightening creams. The main product here is called Fair and Lovely. The commercials will show a dark skinned woman, either losing the love of her life, or being denied that promotion that she is more than capable of performing solely based on the premise that she have dark skin. But once she starts using Fair and Lovely - POOF! She is back in her man's arms, she's a successful woman but most importantly, she is happy because she is beautiful.
Fair, and therefore lovely.
Don't worry! There's a gender appropriate product for men too!
(Fair and Lovely is owned by Unilever, the same people who own Dove, which is currently promoting its Beauty Campaign, which is about excepting your body the way it is. And Axe, which just straight up says that your female body is a reward for smelling like a 14 year old boy. Just a little food for thought.)
It didn't really effect me until I got home from south tour when everyone was shocked in horror and shame to see "how much I've darkened..." Since then I've been wrapping my face up in my scarf everytime I go outside, applying sunscreen to any part of my body that isn't covered - even if I'm just walking four minutes up the road to the cyber cafe, and have just become determined to lose my summer colour and get my winter colour back. I constantly feel like a permanent ugo. *sigh*
Since I've been outside everyday biking around, it's been a constant topic of conversation. Trying to stay fair and lovely. I felt that this deserved a post because the colour of my skin plays a huge role in my exchange, and what makes it most different than my gora friends. I'm not telling you this to gain sympathy, or tell you how much India is the pits, I'm telling you this so you know what's shaping my exchange and what's shaping my view on India.


No comments:
Post a Comment