Blog Archive

Thursday, April 19, 2012

December 1st: Kanyakumari

The most southern tip of India is in Kanyakumari. It's the only place in India from which the Arabian Sea, the Indian Ocean, and the Bay of Bengal can be viewed simultaneously. On clear days, Sri Lanka can be seen far off in the distance. Unfortunately for us, today is rainy, grey and cloudy. To get to the tip, we take a little ferry to get there. At the tip there is a temple, which makes for something to see.




Dascha, Kelsey, Olivia, Nikolas, RK, Anais, Jordan, Franzi, and Chris.



The weather was that kind of cold that rain brings, and the colours of everything around me was in that grey-scale that rain brings. The temple was cool, and I can say that I was at the southern tip of India now.

Today is similar to Halebid with the locals: More than the usual attention. Yaaaaaaay. Yes, we've gotten attention as a group of foreigners, it's inevitable. A bunch of loud, rowdy different looking young people just waltz into a museum. We're bound to get looks. It just gets out of hand when they take pictures of us. We huddled together for support against their lenses, which seemed to circle us. Some would do a "quick click" over their shoulder. Some would pretend to do a panoramic, and take a picture right when we were in shot. But mostly, they would just take their picture of the rare white person like we are animals. The worst thing is when they would take their pictures then snicker, laugh, stare and point at us. They do this without thinking that - foreigners are humans, in the most innocent way possible. There's nothing for it. I could go on and on about Indian-Gora (White in Hindi) relations and interactions...maybe in another post.

After the temple, we're off to Kovalum. Like last night, we get in when it's dark, and I don't explore our surroundings, Instead Sebastian, Serenity, Olivia and I have dance lessons, in someone's room. I accept this.

No comments:

Post a Comment