After some emails with Mama and Papa Khan, they tell me that people are interested in what daily life looks like. I’m sorry that I haven’t been saying much about that. I’m pretty bad at describing what’s going on around me, and I haven’t been taking pictures because – I already get stared at as it is – I don’t wanna stand out even more and take a picture of something that’s “normal” So I'ma just in point form point out all the "cool" things that I see everyday.
• The smaller the town, the more traditional it is. Women here start putting away their western clothes between 22 – 27 (When they get married – gotta show everyone that you a proper Indian woman after all!)
• Physical intimacy is really bad here, and you will never see anyone (even on TV or in movies) kissing. I mean – if you’re in Mumbai or something you’ll see it, but Yavatmal? NOPE. You’ll be deemed a cheap woman and you won’t land a husband - which is your goal in life.
• When I say that physical intimacy is bad, I mean it’s inappropriate between men & women and women & women. Between males though... homoeroticism is pretty acceptable. Think of the way the women are intimate with each other, now imagine that with men. That's a cultural difference to say in the least. My favourite thing that men do together is hold pinky's.

• Bollywood is a huge aspect of life. The acting is pretty bad, and the storylines are the mo cheesy. Women are always crying, mother-in-laws are devil spawn, and there is always windblown hair. It’s a good laugh, Bollywood is.
• In Yavatmal, the theaters aren’t that nice. You can see lizards crawling on the screen during the movie. It’s a non- A/C building, and it’s not exactly the cleanest place you’ll ever see. But the movies are fun because people get really into it. They scream at the screen, cheer, howl and whistle.
• Actually, most buildings in Yavatmal aren’t A/C. In my house, my parents’ bedroom has A/C. That’s it. Only fans.
• Yavatmal has planned power outages. There isn’t enough electricity for everyone, so different grids won’t have power for a couple of hours. One day it’ll be 6 – 9 then 12 – 3 and the day after will be 9 – 12, then 3 – 6. Most houses will have at least one light and one fan in each room running on a battery though.
• The smaller the town, the more traditional it is. Women here start putting away their western clothes between 22 – 27 (When they get married – gotta show everyone that you a proper Indian woman after all!)
• Physical intimacy is really bad here, and you will never see anyone (even on TV or in movies) kissing. I mean – if you’re in Mumbai or something you’ll see it, but Yavatmal? NOPE. You’ll be deemed a cheap woman and you won’t land a husband - which is your goal in life.
• When I say that physical intimacy is bad, I mean it’s inappropriate between men & women and women & women. Between males though... homoeroticism is pretty acceptable. Think of the way the women are intimate with each other, now imagine that with men. That's a cultural difference to say in the least. My favourite thing that men do together is hold pinky's.

So precious.
• Bollywood is a huge aspect of life. The acting is pretty bad, and the storylines are the mo cheesy. Women are always crying, mother-in-laws are devil spawn, and there is always windblown hair. It’s a good laugh, Bollywood is.
• In Yavatmal, the theaters aren’t that nice. You can see lizards crawling on the screen during the movie. It’s a non- A/C building, and it’s not exactly the cleanest place you’ll ever see. But the movies are fun because people get really into it. They scream at the screen, cheer, howl and whistle.
• Actually, most buildings in Yavatmal aren’t A/C. In my house, my parents’ bedroom has A/C. That’s it. Only fans.
• Yavatmal has planned power outages. There isn’t enough electricity for everyone, so different grids won’t have power for a couple of hours. One day it’ll be 6 – 9 then 12 – 3 and the day after will be 9 – 12, then 3 – 6. Most houses will have at least one light and one fan in each room running on a battery though.
Remember how I said that family was extremely important and how Indian is patriarchal? Well, as a result, it’s not common for family to live either nt he same house or extremely nearby. My backyard is shared with my dad’s younger brother and his family and his grandparents
• Cows, goats, pigs, horses, dogs and cats (sometimes monkeys) roam around town and often stop traffic. So when you're walking you always have to look at the ground to make sure you don't step in any animal poop.
• The other day, because the door was open, a stray cat walked into my house. And my friend told me that a monkey came into her house because the doors were open.

• Speaking of monkeys, (My dad thinks this is cool and I should put it in my blog) I crossed the street beside a monkey. It was like a meter away from me, and we just...crossed the street together. It was mildly terrifying, because monkeys are actually extremely vicious creatures.
• Since most people don't believe in using screens to put over windows or doors, mosquitoes, lizards, huge mutant ants, and other various insects are always in houses.
• Apart from the animals you also have you look all around you for oncoming cars, trucks, rickshaws motorcycles, scooters various animals and people.
• To make life easier, the traffic lights don't work all the time, if at all in Yavatmal.
• Two wheelers are really common in India because you can't really go that fast because of the bad roads and the high number of people/cars/everything on the road. Two wheelers allow you to curve in and out of cars and trucks.

• It's a cultural thing where you just don't smile in photos. Ya just don't. You almost frown.

• Cows, goats, pigs, horses, dogs and cats (sometimes monkeys) roam around town and often stop traffic. So when you're walking you always have to look at the ground to make sure you don't step in any animal poop.
• The other day, because the door was open, a stray cat walked into my house. And my friend told me that a monkey came into her house because the doors were open.
The cat who would meow ferociously for food outside my house. I named him Gatsby. Not that I'm a fan of The Great Gatsby. In fact, I didn't like The Great Gatsby at all...
• Speaking of monkeys, (My dad thinks this is cool and I should put it in my blog) I crossed the street beside a monkey. It was like a meter away from me, and we just...crossed the street together. It was mildly terrifying, because monkeys are actually extremely vicious creatures.
• Since most people don't believe in using screens to put over windows or doors, mosquitoes, lizards, huge mutant ants, and other various insects are always in houses.
• Apart from the animals you also have you look all around you for oncoming cars, trucks, rickshaws motorcycles, scooters various animals and people.
• To make life easier, the traffic lights don't work all the time, if at all in Yavatmal.
• Two wheelers are really common in India because you can't really go that fast because of the bad roads and the high number of people/cars/everything on the road. Two wheelers allow you to curve in and out of cars and trucks.
This is not a exaggeration. This happens.
• It's a cultural thing where you just don't smile in photos. Ya just don't. You almost frown.
I was having a really great time. I promise.
• I’ve mentioned how the buildings are covered in black grime, and how there’s litter everywhere, but I have not mentioned the tobacco spit. There are red spit marks all over the ground.
• And while we’re speaking of dirty things, it’s completely acceptable to litter and throw your garage outside the car window.
That’s all I got.
• And while we’re speaking of dirty things, it’s completely acceptable to litter and throw your garage outside the car window.
That’s all I got.
No comments:
Post a Comment